If you have many dealings with people who do not like God (mostly atheists and homosexuals) then you have probably come along this line of reasoning, “if your God is so great and perfect, then why did He create this imperfect creation? Could He not have done a better job so WE would not have to suffer?” At first glance, without taking a look at what the Bible says, one might fall for this line of faulty reasoning and game of blaming God for what He has done. I hope you are smarter than that though. With just a little research (Bible study) and an ounce of intellectual integrity, you will quickly see why the above quote is flawed. Before we begin to find the answer, I want to give you a scenario to help set the mood of understanding. Imagine that you have a friend who has just come to American from the jungles of the Amazon. He has never seen a car before. His first experience with any kind of vehicle is the local junkyard that you take him to see. He asked what these broken down things are and you tell him that they are vehicles. His next question, which sounds strange but makes total sense is, “why do you work so hard to build all these car when they are nothing but big piles of useless junk? Why not build a car that is useful if you have the ability?“. Keep that in mind as we research this topic.
God had a very specific plan in mind for all mankind from the very beginning. Being a perfect God, He had a perfect plan in mind when He created mankind male and female. He even used a perfect pattern. Let’s take a look at that creation in the book of beginnings, Genesis.
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good . . . (Genesis 1:26-27, 31)
God’s perfect creation of mankind
- God uses His own image and likeness in order to make mankind (God is 3 in 1 and He makes mankind 3 in 1, body, soul, spirit). The image of God does not refer to how He looks, instead, it is all about His character. Mankind was made to have the character of God. If you want to know what mankind’s original character was to be like then you need to know the actual character of God. I would recommend that you do this Bible study in order to learn the character of God, as well as discover the character God created us to have. This will help you examine yourself and see where you need improvements.
- Mankind was created to rule and not be ruled. (Mankind is no longer the ruler of this world. The ruler of this world is Satan through the power of sin. In a minute we will see how this came about and will help explain why we are so messed up today).
- Man and woman both, are created in the image of God. (There is no sexism here. They were both created equal in the eyes of God. There is a difference today, because of sin, as we will see).
- All that God made was very good (literally, without blemish or perfect).
If all things were created perfect then why do we live in a broken world with broken people? Do you remember the junkyard example? Let’s see just how this perfect world and its people became a junkyard.
Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the LORD God had made.
He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate. Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.
And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?” And he said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” The man said, “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.” Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this that you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
The LORD God said to the serpent,
“Because you have done this,
cursed are you above all livestock
and above all beasts of the field;
on your belly you shall go,
and dust you shall eat
all the days of your life.
I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring;
he shall bruise your head,
and you shall bruise his heel.”
To the woman he said,
“I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;
in pain you shall bring forth children.
Your desire shall be for your husband,
and he shall rule over you.”
And to Adam he said,
“Because you have listened to the voice of your wife
and have eaten of the tree
of which I commanded you,
‘You shall not eat of it,’
cursed is the ground because of you;
in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life;
thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you;
and you shall eat the plants of the field.
By the sweat of your face
you shall eat bread,
till you return to the ground,
for out of it you were taken;
for you are dust,
and to dust you shall return.”
This is how we became so messed up:
- Disobedience to God
- Believing a lie instead of the Word of God (here is where atheists and homosexuals are today)
- Thinking that we can be the “god” of our lives instead of allowing God to be God
- Trying to cover for our blatant disobedience
- Blaming someone else for our actions (this is the liberal motto of today, “I am a victim”)
- Blaming God for what we have done (Adam said, “it was the woman whom YOU (GOD) gave to me (it was Your fault God))
- Now sin is in the picture (mankind is cursed as well as the earth on which we live)
- Sin brings death and destruction (mankind opened the door to death and destruction and now we have to pay the price by living in a cursed world)
Okay, so Adam and Eve messed it all up, what does that have to do with me?
- Eve became the mother of all the living
- Her children were not made in the image of God like she and Adam, they were made in the image of their father, after he received his curse of a sin nature
- Every human is born with a sin nature, which entices us to sin and opens the door to slavery to sin
- We, like Adam and Eve, try to pass the blame by claiming to be victims and blaming God for His mistakes in making us the way that we are (as we have seen, God did not make the mistake, we made and make it)
When an atheist looks at this world and says, “why did God create such an imperfect creation?”, he is like the man from the jungle who really does not know all of the details and is trying to make a judgment with limited facts. Because of these limited facts, he draws the wrong conclusions. With the man from the jungle, he can receive all the facts yet he still has to choose to accept the truth or not, to accept reality or not. The same is true with atheists, yes they are extremely naive yet we can explain the facts to them and then the ball is in their court. Usually, they reject the facts and want to continue living in their little fantasy worlds so that they can feel good about themselves. It is a sad sight but a reality. I pray for them, share the truth with them and let the Holy Spirit go to work. If they are “rational” like they all brag about being, then they will analyze all the facts and then make the correct conclusion.
Is there hope for mankind even if we are born into a fallen world full of sin, death, and destruction? Yes, the hope is Jesus Christ. He came to this earth to pay the penalty for our sin. He did this by dying in our place on the cross. He resurrected to hand us the power to overcome sin and temptation, to set us free from sin’s death grip on our lives. Now He offers this free gift to us. The ball is now in our court and we have to make a decision, do we continue in sin, playing the victim and blaming God or do we accept His way out? The choice is yours my friend. I hope you are a “rational” person.