I want to deal with another supposed contradiction by our atheist friend who superficially reads the Bible (I really do not think he even reads the Bible. I believe he is just recycling someone’s illogical argument). Just a simple word study of the meaning of the original words used in Hebrew and Greek reveal that the atheist has no clue what he is talking about.
Genesis 32:30 – So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”
John 1:18 – No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.
It seems that there may be a contradiction here but let’s do a little research (which the atheist obviously did not do).
The problem lies in John 1:18 (but in fact, a proper version of the English Bible makes this even clearer). Here is a direct translation from the Greek.
18 No one has seen God at any time ; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him. (John 1)
Do you see the answer? He (Jesus) has explained Him (God). The verb form of “to see” (has seen) literally means “to comprehend” therefore, a direct translation would be “no one has [fully] comprehended God at any time”. Do you see it? Jesus Christ has explained God whom no one had fully comprehended until Jesus Christ came. So, the atheist is wrong (as usual) and the Word of God is right. You will find that this is the case over and over again.
Many people have seen God over the course of human history.
- Adam and Eve walked and talked with God daily.
- Abraham met with God.
- Jacob saw God, even wrestled with Him.
- Moses spoke with God face to face and was God’s friend.
Do you know this Jesus who has explained God to us? Are you still living in the dark when it comes to God? The Bible says that Jesus is “full of grace and truth”. Have you experienced grace and truth or are you still lost in your sins, living as an enemy of God? The choice is yours. You can become a child of God and receive grace and truth or you can remain an enemy of God for all eternity. My prayer is that you will make the wise choice in this matter.
God reveals Himself through His Word.
- Elohim – the all powerful Creator. He created you as you are so that you could know Him.
- El Elyon – the God Most High. He is in control of all things in the universe, even the things that happen to you. He wants you to know Him personally.
- El Roi – the God who sees all things. He knows what you have gone through in life and what you are going through at the moment. He wants you to know Him so that He can help you.
- Adonai – the Lord, the Master. He wants to be the Lord of your life and give you all of the benefits that accompany Him being Lord and Master. When you make Him Lord of your life He begins to reveal Himself to you step by step so that you can know Him personally and intimately.
- El Shaddai – the all powerful life giving God. He wants to give you abundant life here on this earth as well as eternal life. He wants to be your everything and He will be if you want to know Him in this personal manner.
- Jehovah – the self-existing One who keeps His promises. God has many, many promises for you and will be faithful to those promises day and night.
Do you know God in this personal manner? Would you like to know Him like this? He wants you to and has done everything to make it possible. He has extended His hand and now waits for you to reach up and grab hold of Him. I pray that you will make this choice so that you can “see” God and watch Him do amazing things in your life.