Last week, I had some dear friends of mine from Moldova come and stay with us for most of the week. They were speaking at our annual missions conference at Hoffmantown Church. They came a little early and we were able to spend the week ministering with them. They taught our Bible study groups and shared their testimony of life on the mission field to several different groups of people. On Thursday morning, Alex led our staff Bible study and my heart was touched by what we studied. I would like to share that with you here in this article.
As the title of the post suggests, we learned about being ambassadors for Jesus Christ. The passage that we studied was II Corinthians 5:14-21. Now that you have taken a moment to read the passage, let’s see what all we learn from it.
I. Benefits of being an ambassador of Christ
There are many benefits that we receive when we become ambassadors of Christ. These do not necessarily motivate us to become ambassadors but they are nice perks.
- We are controlled (unified) by the love of Christ. Christ’s love draws us to Himself. His love unifies us with Himself. When we are all drawn together in unity with Christ, we cannot help but be unified with each other.
- Christ died for us, in our place, to pay a debt that He did not owe and we could not pay. By accepting that sacrifice, we become ambassadors of the One who died for us.
- I am a new creation of God. All of the old has passed away and the new is to come. I now have a new way of life. I no longer live like I once did. I now get a chance at a new life.
- I am no longer an enemy of God. I have been reconciled with Him.
- My sins are no longer counted against me.
- I have the Word of God which prepares me to minister to the lost world around me.
II. Responsibilities of being an ambassador of Christ
I have not been reconciled with God so that I can be a spectator in a church service and keep a chair from flying away. I have been given some serious responsibilities as an ambassador of Christ. Let’s see what they are.
- I choose to allow the love of Christ to control me. I seek unity with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
- I no longer live for myself. I know live for the One who died on my behalf and rose again. I seek to please Him and no longer seek to please myself.
- I no longer live as I once lived. I now live a new life, one that is pleasing to the One who died for me and in service (love) to the other ambassadors of Christ.
- I have been given a specific ministry (service/task) and that is to take this reconciliation with God to all the world around me.
- In order to lead others to be reconciled with God, I must take the Word of God to them and teach them how they can know and serve God too.
- I know see every circumstance in life as an opportunity to plead with people to be reconciled with God.
Are you living as an ambassador for Christ day by day? Are you studying His Word in order to be prepared to take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way, to teach others how to be reconciled with God? Who are you living for each day of your life? Has there been a radical transformation in your life? Are you a living example of the man’s possibility of being reconciled with God? May the Lord help us live as His ambassadors moment by moment, day by day.