Happy New Year 2017!!! In the previous article, we learned about the importance of being a planner because God is a planner. He calls those who plan and act according to their plans wise. He calls those who fail to plan and who do not work according to a plan foolish. God then places the ball in our court and allows us to choose if we want to be wise or foolish. I do not know about you but, I want to be a wise person and have chosen to plan 2017 with God’s goals in mind and then working according to those plans so that I can reap the spiritual benefits. The question that usually arises when a person realizes the need to plan is, “how do I do this in a practical way?”. I am glad that you asked this question because I would like to share what I use to plan. As we learned, we have to plan to live in such a way as to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ in all that we do and say, especially in our attitudes and motives.
I. IDENTIFY VALUES
TO DISCOVER YOUR HIGHEST PRIORITIES IN LIFE
- Values clarification – What are my highest priorities in life? What kind of person do I want to be? What things do I want to accomplish in my spiritual, professional, personal, etc. life? What contributions do I want to make in life? What impact do I want to have in my city, state, country? Etc.
- If you were given the opportunity to do one thing that would have the greatest impact in your personal life, what would that thing be?
- If you were given the opportunity to do one thing that would have the greatest impact in your professional life, what would that be?
- When did I have moments of complete joy and happiness in my life?
- What activity produces the greatest fulfillment and joy in my professional life?
- What are the activities that I value most in my life?
- What talents or character qualities would I like to have?
- How can I contribute most to the people?
- Identifying and defining your roles – Child of God, Student, Son/Daughter, Husband/Wife, Parent, Teacher, Spiritual Gift(s), etc.
- Personal Mission Statement – goal of your life
II. Set Goals
Make a list with the things (objects, people etc) that you would like to have in your life (ex: a house, a car, wife/ husband etc.) Be specific!
Make a list with the things you want to achieve during your life (visit every continent, be able to recite the entire Bible, start an organization etc.)
Make a list with the qualities of character that you would like to cultivate in your own character.
Goals will work toward achieving your highest priorities (Combine your values, roles and personal mission statement to set goals for your life)
- Plan Weekly – to achieve your highest priorities
- Plan Daily – to achieve your highest priorities
- Plan Monthly – to achieve your highest priorities
- Plan Yearly – to achieve your highest priorities
III. Practical Assignment
- Start your personal planning notebook and use it everyday for at least 10 min.
- Imagine that you are at your 80th birthday party and the dearest people to you came to wish you a Happy Birthday and show their appreciation for all that you’ve done for them. What would you like to hear from by each one of them?
- Write down a list of names and beside each name specify what you would like to hear them say….
- If someone were to write a complete history of your life, what would you like to have written there? What are the things that you wish to accomplish in life?